To promote sustainable urban development at local scale, municipal governments play a crucial role in planning
and provision of basic urban services and infrastructures. The development and efficient performance of urban services and infrastructures will minimize detrimental environmental impacts and improve the lives of urban dwellers. By contrast,when urban administrators are unable to provide adequate levels of urban services and infrastructures to all its citizens,
the outcomes will adversely affect the physical and the social environments of a city.
Addis Ababa is inhabited by a population of more than 3 million and is one of the fastest growing cities of Africa.
As a result of its rapid growth, the city cannot cope with high demands of basic urban services.
In spite of the progress so far made, the quality of the community based planning needs to be strengthened.
The planning process currently requires additional support to ensure prioritized set of livelihoods interventions and
/ quality community participation at kebele level are ensured and to
inform the woreda development plan review.
It was also found that there exist practical and capacity challenges to ensure effective integration of bottom up community
participatory planning process with the top down government planning process.
- Include poor in urban development: Ajay Maken (news.in.msn.com)
- Include poor in urban development: Ajay Maken (vancouverdesi.com)
- Opportunity – Call for paper on alternative urban development (Métropoles) (utsurbanforum.wordpress.com)
- Resilient planning will help cities to adapt to climate change (kaieteurnewsonline.com)
- What does good urban development mean to you? (thecityfix.com)
- Race against time for future cities (theraconteur.co.uk)
- Aarsleff secures Värtahamnen contract (maritimejournal.com)