Through this journey, you will find that the western ancient buildings have a remarkable advantage. That is firmness and permanence. Some buildings have been standing for thousands of years.
But, generally, Chinese ancient architecture cannot be preserved for such a long time. For example, you can hardly find an above ground building which was built 1000 years ago except some stone towers.
Chinese: Wooden Structure
Western: Stone Structure
Stone Structure is firmer and using it won’t affect nature a lot.
- Jackie Chan criticized for plan to give Chinese buildings to Singapore (wantchinatimes.com)
- Day 2 and 3 (monicamengsentinel.wordpress.com)
- Why Jony Ive Should Travel Back In Time To Stop Scott Forstall From Ruining Ancient Greek Architecture (cultofmac.com)
- Sumerian Architecture. Ancient Near Eastern Architecture. (archiabyssina.com)
- China destroys the ancient Buddhist symbols of Lhasa City in Tibet (newsforage.com)
- Ancient architectural wonders: The Hypogeum of Hal Saflieni (theriderarchitect.wordpress.com)
- Does Beijing’s new People’s Daily building remind you of anything? (guardian.co.uk)
- Adventures in Deutschland (mindykerrphotography.wordpress.com)